‘Tis the season of strawberry and rhubarb, and our kitchen is quickly becoming laden with these early summer lovelies. This past weekend I played around a bit to come up with a variation to a traditional fruit crisp. After some experimentation, I came up with this recipe that goes together very quickly, making it the perfect dish to bring to a summer picnic or backyard barbecue.
This crisp is not overly sweet, so it allows the flavors of the sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb to shine through. Coupled with the rich, earthly flavors of the pecans and oats, this is a treat sure to please the masses.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Crisp
For the crumble:
1. In a food processor, pulse 1/4 cup raw pecans.
2. Add 2 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg to the food processor. Pulse 2-3 times.
3. Add 1 stick of cold butter (cut into bits) and 2 tablespoons raw honey to the food processor. Pulse until a crumble forms.
4. Set aside.
For the filling:
1. Combine 2 cups strawberries (diced), 3 cups rhubarb (diced), 1/3 cup honey, 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 eggs (beaten), and 1 teaspoon almond extract in a large bowl.
2. Add 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the fruit mixture.
Assembling the crisp:
1. Pour the fruit mixture into a 9X9 inch pan.
2. Spread the crumble mixture over the top of the fruit.
3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the top of the crumble is golden brown.
*A note about all my recipes: I use all organic ingredients, local when available. I use non-homogenized milk, and all of the dairy we use is from animals raised on pasture. I also use oils that are non-GMO verified. All our meat is raised locally on organic feed, and our beef is grass-fed, grass-finished. All our spices and cane sugar are fair-trade certified and purchased through a cooperative.
One thought on “Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Crisp”
Looks yummalicious!! I’m always looking for good recipes for rhubarb! Thanks.